Tez is a digital payment app made by Google and works on the basis of UPI (Unified Payment Interface) just like BHIM app. This app is available to download from Google Play and Apple App Store. It is compatible with smartphones with Android 4.4 or higher and iOS 8.2 or higher.
1 How to setup Tez app?
- Select the language and tap on the top right arrow
- Enter your phone number associated with your Bank and hit enter
- Grant the permission request (Contacts, Messages, etc)
- Select the Google account which you want to link with Tez app.
- Tez app will send an OTP to verify your number and it will detect the OTP automatically. If not, enter the OTP manually and hit enter.
- Once your number is verified, select the app security method. You can either select your phone’s existing screen lock such as pattern lock, fingerprint or create new Google PIN. Make a note that, this is not UPI PIN and you need to enter this PIN every time to open the Tez app on your smartphone. We recommend you to use your phone’s screen lock such as pattern lock or fingerprint. That’s it. This completes the setup process. Follow the next FAQ (2) to link your Bank account to Tez app.
2 How to link Bank account to Tez app?
Once you are done with setup, now link your Bank account to Tez for making the transaction. The amount received will be directly credited to the linked Bank account.
- Open the app, Tap on ‘Add Bank Account’ from home screen just below your profile or Tap on the 3-dot menu
- Select ‘Settings’ options from the options
- Select ‘Bank account’ option from the settings page
- Tap on ‘Add Bank Account’
- Select the Bank you want to link to Tez app. Once you select the bank, Tez will fetch the details using a secure connection. If your number is verified, your bank details along with UPI ID will be shown on the screen. Now to complete the process, Select ‘Enter UPI Pin’ option.
- If you have an existing UPI PIN, you will be asked to enter it. Enter the UPI PIN. If you don’t know the UPI PIN, reset it or generate the new UPI PIN.
- Once you enter the valid UPI PIN, the bank will get linked to the Tez app. You can find the Bank Name listed under ‘Bank Accounts’. You can also add multiple bank accounts by following the same procedure. Follow FAQ 3 to delete the Bank account.
3 How to delete a Bank account in Tez app?
To delete a Bank account, Go to ‘Settings’ by clicking the 3-dot menu from the home screen. Select the Bank you want to delete and select options by tapping the 3-dot menu. Select ‘Remove account’ option from the listing. This will remove the Bank account from Tez app. You can relink the same bank account whenever you need it again.
4 How to Send money using bank account number and IFSC code in Tez app?
- Tap on the ‘New or ₹’ icon on the home screen
- Select ‘Account Number’ from the options
- Enter the details (Recipient name, Account number, and IFSC code) and tap on ‘Proceed’ button at the bottom.
- Now, enter the amount you want to send. (For your future reference, you can also add purpose of the transaction by tapping on ‘What’s this for?’ else leave it blank)
- If the Location is disabled on your smartphone, You will get a prompt to Turn on the location. This helps Google to detect suspicious activity. Select ‘Turn On’. If you want you can close it manually once the transaction is done.
- Enter your UPI PIN to complete the transaction. It will take few minutes to get credited into the recipient’s account after successfully completing the transaction.
5 What is the difference between Google PIN and UPI PIN?
Google PIN and UPI PIN are different. Google PIN is used to safeguard the app and also to prevent others from accessing the app. You need to input this PIN to open the Tez app every time. Make a note that, if you use Google PIN, you’ll need to be connected to the Internet to open the app. You can even use your existing screen lock such as pattern, fingerprint scanner to secure the Tez app. UPI PIN is your transaction password which is used to approve the payments.
- Google PIN provides more protection and you can change the PIN whenever needed
- If you are not comfortable with Google PIN, switch to Phone lock anytime
- Fingerprint scanner provides a faster way to open the app just like unlocking your smartphone.
6 How to reset UPI PIN in Tez app?
- To reset UPI PIN, tap on the three-dot menu from the home screen and select ‘Settings’
- In the settings menu select ‘Bank account’
- Select the bank account for which you want to reset the UPI PIN
- Once you select the Bank account, tap on the three-dot menu
- Select ‘Change UPI PIN’
- Enter your Current or Old UPI PIN and then Enter the new UPI PIN
- Hit enter to complete the process. You will be notified about the UPI Pin change on the app screen and also through an SMS
7 How to add multiple bank accounts to Tez app?
- Tap on the three-dot-menu from the home screen and select ‘Settings’
- From the settings screen, select ‘Bank account’ option
- Tap on ‘Add Bank Account’
- Select the bank you want to add
- Enter the UPI PIN to complete the process. Once you enter the valid UPI PIN, the new bank will be added to Tez app. During the payment, you can also select the bank you want to use for payment else the default will bank will be selected.
8 What is the transaction limit of Tez app?
You can send up to ₹1,00,000 (1 Lakh) per day. A maximum number of transactions per day is limited to 20. Your bank may have its own transaction limits on how much you can send or receive. So contact your bank for more information. You can also switch to another Bank account if your default Bank account limit is reached.
9 What is Cash mode in Tez app?
Cash Mode allows you to transfer or pay money to another Tez user nearby without having to share personal details like your bank account number or phone number. Just bring two phones near each other, hit pay or request, Enter the amount and input your UPI PIN. That’s it, the payment goes instantly from one bank account to another bank account. Cash Mode is built using our proprietary Audio QR technology similar to QR codes like what other UPI apps are currently using. Audio QR technology is more secure and works almost any Android and iOS smartphone.
10 How to delete the transaction history in Google Tez app?
There is no way to delete the transaction history from Tez app.
11 What will happen if I uninstall the Tez app?
You will not lose any transaction data if you uninstall the Tez app. All the transaction details will be restored once you sign into the app again. You should use the same Mobile number which you have used to sign up earlier.
12 Can I use Tez app without the Internet?
For making payments, you need an active internet connection but to check the transaction details, internet connection is not required. Make a note that, if you are using Google PIN as a security method, you’ll need to be connected to the Internet to open the app.
13 Are there any transactions charges for making or receiving payments through Tez app?
There are no charges for making the transaction on Tez app for both Personal and Business use. But your bank might, however, levy a nominal charge as UPI transfer fee. Contact your bank for more details.
14 My transaction on Tez has failed but the amount is debited from my bank account.
In such cases, the amount debited will be refunded back to your account within few mins. Sometimes it can take 2 to 3 business days or a week in some rare cases for the money to transfer from your bank to your bank account. If the money has not been received even after 2 business days, raise a dispute from the Tez app. To raise a dispute,
- Open Tez app and Go to ‘All Transactions’ from the home screen
- Open the transaction that you want to report
- Tap on the 3-dot-menu and then, Select ‘Report a problem’ and select ‘Report’
Once you report the transaction, it will be ‘under review’ in the Tez app. Your bank may take a few days to resolve the issue. You will be notified once the issue is solved. For more information contact your Bank’s customer support or Tez support.
15 How to add or transfer money to Paytm wallet using Google Tez app?
Check out this article to know about step by step instructions for adding money to Paytm wallet using Google Tez app.
16 How to delete Tez app from my Smartphone?
- Tap on the three-dot-menu from the home screen and select ‘Settings’
- Scroll down and select ‘Close account’
- Tap on ‘Close’ from the pop-up to delete the account from your smartphone
Once you close the account, associated UPI accounts and Tez UPI ID will be deregistered automatically. Anytime you can signup for Tez and data will no be lost. All the transaction details will be retrieved automatically once you sign up using the same number. Also, make a note that, you will lose your previous Tez UPI ID and a new UPI ID will be generated once you link the Bank account to the Tez app.
17 What if I lose my phone?
Tez app is built with a high level of security. There are two layers of security – Passcode and UPI PIN. Without the passcode, one cannot open the app and without the UPI PIN, one cannot do the transactions. Do not share your UPI PIN with anyone. To be on a safer side, if you lost your phone, contact your bank customer support and block your bank account linked to the Tez app.
18 How to delete a Chat message from Tez app?
- Open the Chat
- ‘Long Press’ on the Message or Chat you want to delete
- Select ‘Delete’ from the pop-up
- The message will be deleted from both your’s as well from the recipient’s chat window
18 How to recharge prepaid mobile number using Tez app?
Go through this detailed article for step by instructions to recharge your Prepaid mobile number.
Please be noted, we are not associated with Tez or Google. If you have any issues with Tez app, contact Google support using the Tez app itself. Open the app, go to Settings -> Help & Feedback -> Select Chat or Call back.
Article last updated on 17th August 11, 2018