Google introduces a new app called Bolo, an Android app to help children improve their reading skills. This app powered by Google’s speech recognition and text-to-speech technology and specially designed for primary grade students. It comes with a built-in reading buddy Diya that encourages, aids, explains and corrects the child, as they read aloud.
Google Bolo App Features
- Personalized reading tutor with both positive and corrective feedback
- Explains the meaning of English text in Hindi
- Play interesting word games
- Earn in-app rewards and badges
- 50 stories in Hindi & 40 in English with more to follow
- Completely free reading materials
- Multiple children can use the same app and track their progress separately
- Works offline and completely ads free
- All personal information always stays on the device
As per Google, they found that 64% of children showed an improvement in reading proficiency in 3 months in the pilot program conducted across 200 villages in Uttar Pradesh. The Bolo app is available to all children and their parents across India under the Beta program. It is compatible with Android smartphones, running Android 4.4 (Kit Kat) and higher and will be available to download via Google Play Store.