Microsoft has today launched Skype Lite app in India. It is the lighter version of the popular video calling app Skype. Skype Lite is specially designed for India to use in areas with limited connectivity on Android devices. It includes features such as SMS support, native phone contacts & calls, Video calls, and data usage tracking.
This app is built with the latest Skype technology to perform well even under limited network connections and also to save mobile data and money. As per Microsoft, It uses lesser data and power by compressing large files such as photos and videos and therefore requires less battery power compared to the Skype app. Microsoft is also integrating Aadhaar with the app by June 2017 to verify the identity of unknown callers. It will also help in a variety of situations including job interviews, goods and property sale, etc.
Skype Lite Highlights
- Low data usage and Low battery consumption
- Mobile data and Wi-Fi usage monitoring
- Economical Calling feature to reduce data usage when making Skype calls
- Chat using Skype or Standard messenger
- Better SMS management (Unselecting promotional messages)
- Free voice calls or video calls with anyone on Skype
- Share photos, emoticons, and files
- India-focused Skype Bots
- Aadhaar integration (Coming in June 2017)
- Supported Languages: English, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu
Skype Lite is available to download on Android devices with Android 4.0.3 and up. Download the app from Google Play and Sign in with your existing Skype account or create a new account. App size is about 13MB.