Microsoft has started rolling out an updated version of Skype for Desktop that will replace Skype version 7.0 also known as Skype classic. The company has also requested everyone to upgrade the software as only Skype version 8.0 will work after 1st September 2018. If you are a Desktop user, Go to this link and download the latest version of Skype.
Key Features of Skype for Desktop 8.0
- HD video calls
- Screensharing calls with up to 24 members
- Use @mentions to tag the specific person in a group chat
- Chat media gallery – Easily to find files, links, and photos in a conversation
- Share up to 300 MB photos, videos, and other files with drag and drop
The above-mentioned features have already started rolling out and Skype has also announced a few key features which will be released later this summer. You can find the list below.
- Skype 8.0 for iPad – Quoted messages, personalized themes, chat list, @mentions, and more are now available on Skype for iPad experience
- Call recording—Take call snapshots ane Record calls. Everyone in the call is notified that the call is being recorded as soon as you start recording. Call recordings combine everyone’s video as well as any screens shared during the call
- Read receipts – Check who’s read your messages. Once someone reads your message, their avatar appears beneath it in the Skype chat
- Private Conversations – End-to-end encrypted Skype audio calls, Text messages, Files such as images, audio, or videos
- Profile invites – Easily start a conversation or call with people who aren’t on Skype yet Group links – Create a new group and tap the Invite More People option to share a link to your group. Anyone you send the link to can join your group just like WhatsApp Group Invite