MediaTek announces Helio G85, the newest addition to its Helio G-series family. It’s a gaming-focused chipset that comes with a 1GHz GPU and HyperEngine enhancements to enable powerful and smooth gaming on mobile devices. It packs an Arm Mali-G52 GPU with a peak of 1GHz. The chipset’s octa-core CPU integrates two powerful Arm Cortex-A75 processors that operate at up to 2GHz and six Cortex-A55 processors operating at up to 1.8GHz. Xiaomi’s recently announced Redmi Note 9 is the world’s first smartphone to feature MediaTek’s Helio G85.
According to MediaTek, the Helio G85 delivers peak performance while maximizing battery life for an incredible gaming experience with dynamic resource management technology. In addition to its HyperEngine technology, the also supports AI camera features for advanced imaging, integrated voice wake-up (VoW) to minimize power use, inertial navigation for more accurate location information, and dual 4G SIM capabilities for reliable connectivity.
HyperEngine’s performance optimization features, gamers can expect smoother performance in heavy-loading game engines, demanding scenes, and intense gameplay, along with intelligent dynamic management of CPU, GPU, and memory according to active measurements of power, thermal and gameplay factors. Additionally, the Helio G85’s connectivity enhancements deliver faster response times between the smartphone and cell tower, providing more reliable connectivity. Users can simply defer calls while gaming without the data connection dropping, the brand said in a press statement.
Key features of the Helio G85
- AI Camera – The chipset boosts the performance of AI camera tasks such as object recognition (Google Lens), smart photo albums, scene detection and segmentation with background removal, as well as bokeh shot enhancements.
- Multi-Camera Smartphones with Premium Quality – Device makers can design smartphones with any mix of wide-angle, telescopic, macro, and sensor sizes up to 48MP. Additionally, the Helio G85 includes a multitude of hardware accelerators, including a hardware depth engine for dual-camera bokeh captures and more. The chipset can also perform ultra-fast recording up to 240fps.
- Integrated Voice Wakeup (VoW) – The chipset has built-in VoW capabilities that minimize the power of applications in the Android OS such as the always-on Google Assistant.
- Highly Accurate Inertial Navigation – The HelioG85’s inertial navigation technology provides an accurate location whether users are underground, driving through tunnels, or in any other situations where GNSS services are unavailable.
- Dual 4G SIM – With its support for dual 4G SIM, the chipset provides better voice and video call quality via VoLTE/ViLTE services, along with enabling a faster connection setup time, more reliable coverage and lower power consumption from either SIM connection.
MediaTek Helio G85 Specifications
- CPU Type 1 – Arm Cortex-A75 @ 2GHz
- CPU Type 2 – Arm Cortex-A55 @ 1.8GHz
- Arm Mali-G52 MC2 GPU
- Max GPU Frequency – 1GHz
- Max Resolution – 2520 x 1080
- Octa-core, 64-bit, Upto 8GB RAM
- LPDDR4x Memory, eMMC 5.1 Storage
- VoLTE, ViLTE, WoWi-Fi, Dual 4G VoLTE
- LTE Category – Cat-7 DL / Cat-13 UL
- Navigation – Beidou, Galileo, Glonass, GPS
- Wi-Fi 5 (a/b/g/n/ac), Bluetooth 5.0, FM Radio
- Video Encoding – H.264, H.265 / HEVC
- Video Encoding FPS – 2K @ 30 fps, 1080P @ 60 fps
- Video Playback – H.264, H.265 / HEVC, VP-9
- Video Playback FPS – 2K @ 30 fps, 1080P @ 60 fps
- Max Camera ISP – 16MP+16MP, 48MP
- Hardware dual-camera support
- Camera Features – AI Face ID (Face Unlock), AI Smart Photo Album, Single-Cam & Dual-Cam Bokeh, Hardware Warping Engine, Rolling Shutter Compensation (RSC) engine, MEMA 3DNR, Multi-Frame Noise reduction
- MediaTek Technologies – CorePilot, NeuroPilot, Pump Express, Tiny Sensor Hub, Integrated VoW, HyperEngine Game Technology
Commenting on the launch, Dr.Yenchi Lee, Assistant General Manager of MediaTek’s wireless business unit said, “MediaTek is expanding our Helio G family to give device makers more options in designing smartphones that deliver an elite gaming experience. The Helio G85 delivers a combination of impressive performance, minimal power consumption, and a range of other gaming enhancements so users can enjoy fast and smooth gameplay”.