After launches Helio G85, MediaTek announces Dimensity 820 system-on-chip (SoC) for mid-range smartphones. According to MediaTek, the chipset is specially optimized for premium user experiences and to deliver ultra-fast 5G speeds. It packs high-performance Arm Mali G57 GPU graphics alongside HyperEngine 2.0 enhancements for the improved gaming experience. It is also integrated with 5G NR (sub-6GHz) modem into this single-chip solution with MediaTek’s 5G UltraSave technologies for better energy efficiency.
The 5G modem design also uses dynamic bandwidth part (BWP) adaption and connected mode discontinuous reception (C-DRX) power-saving technologies. It also supports dual SIM, dual standby (DSDS) 5G technology for access to the fastest speeds, and Voice over New Radio (VoNR) services on both SIMs, 120Hz high frame-rate displays, and MediaTek MiraVision.
- 5G Carrier Aggregation (CA) technology – Higher average speeds and seamless switching between two 5G connection areas.
- Dedicated APU 3.0 (AI Processing Unit) – Improved AI-camera capabilities to take better images and videos without any quality loss.
- HyperEngine 2.0 – Five-core GPU that delivers a better gaming experience with optimizations that reduce network latency for smoother gameplay, support faster response times, and enhance display quality. It also intelligently adjusts the CPU, GPU, and memory resources to optimize power and performance.
- MediaTek Imagiq 5.0 – HDR-native image signal processor (ISP) supports up to four concurrent cameras and up to 80MP sensors, giving brands more design flexibility.
- Multi-frame 4K Video HDR – Easily to record 4K HDR video even in bright and dark environments. The chip automatically captures frames at different exposures and intelligently fuses them into a single video stream.
- Exclusive 5G UltraSave Network Environment Detection and 5G UltraSave OTA Content Awareness
- Supports global sub-6GHz 5G networks in Asia, North America, and Europe
MediaTek Dimensity 820 Specifications
- CPU Type 1 – Arm Cortex-A76 @ up to 2.6GHz
- CPU Type 2 – Arm Cortex-A55 @ up to 2GHz
- Octa-core, 64-bit CPU
- GPU Type – Arm Mali-G57 MC5
- Max Display Resolution – 2520 x 1080 Pixels
- Max Refresh Rate – 120Hz
- LPDDR4x RAM, UFS Storage
- Upto 16GB RAM
- Network Support – 2G / 3G / 4G / 5G Multi-Mode
- 4G and 5G Carrier Aggregation (CA)
- Wi-Fi 5 (a/b/g/n/ac)
- Bluetooth 5.1, FM Radio
- Max Camera ISP – 32+16MP, 80MP
- Max Video Capture Resolution – 3840 x 2160
- Video Encoding – H.264, H.265 / HEVC
- Video Playback – H.264, H.265 / HEVC, VP-9