Here are the list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) with possible solutions to help you in solving issues related to BHIM UPI App. Click on the question to get the answer. Please be noted, we are not associated with BHIM or NPCI. For all queries and issues related to transactions contact your Bank’s customer support. You can also contact NPCI or BHIM support by sending an e-mail to email@example.com or by filling up this form.
- How to set up BHIM app?
- How to send money from BHIM app?
- How to send money using Bank Account Number and IFSC code?
- How to send money from my one bank account to my other Bank account?
- How to send money using Aadhaar number?
- How to send money to someone who doesn’t use BHIM App?
- How can I get the money back if I have sent it to the wrong person?
- How will I know if my UPI transaction is successful or not?
- Money is credited from my Bank account but not debited to the recipient account
- My UPI transaction has failed but the amount is debited from my bank account.
- Are there any charges for making or receiving payments through BHIM app?
- What is the difference between Passcode and UPI PIN?
- How to generate or reset the UPI PIN from BHIM App?
- How to change the UPI PIN?
- What if I forget my UPI PIN?
- My debit card doesn’t have the expiry date. How can I generate a UPI PIN?
- I have already set a UPI pin using my Bank’s app. Can I use the same PIN on BHIM app?
- How to reset UPI PIN using USSD?
- How to change or reset the BHIM app Passcode?
- How to generate QR Code to receive payments?
- How to change the language in BHIM App?
- Does BHIM require Online Banking or SMS banking facility for transactions?
- How much money can I transfer at a time using BHIM?
- Why my bank is not listed in the App?
- Why can’t I install BHIM app on my phone running on Android 4.1?
- How to change the bank account linked to BHIM app?
- Can I link multiple accounts to BHIM app?
- How to delete bank account from BHIM app?
- I have multiple accounts linked to the same mobile number. Which accounts can I use for sending money?
- How to create a new payment address in BHIM app?
- How many payment addresses can be added to the BHIM app
- How to edit or delete the payment address in BHIM app?
- How to disable the default payment address (mobile_number@upi) in BHIM app?
- BHIM app is not detecting the OTP in my Smartphone
- I don’t have a Debit card. How to use the BHIM app?
- Can I use BHIM app without Internet?
- What if I change my mobile number?
- What if I lose my phone?
- My UPI PIN is blocked. How to unblock it?
- What will happen if I uninstall the BHIM app?
- Will BHIM app auto deduct payments from my bank account?
- BHIM app is not recognizing my mobile number
- Error – Beneficiary Payment Address Incorrect
- Error – Collect request is not reaching
- Error – Transaction limit exceeded
- Error – Limit Exceeded, Please try after 30 minutes
- Error – Device Binding Failed
- Error – Failed to Connect
- Error – UPI Transaction failed
- Can I save the beneficiary details for future transactions?
- How do I delete a saved contact from My Beneficiaries?
- How to block unknown money requests in BHIM app?
- How do I unblock a user in BHIM app?
- How do I pay an online merchant through UPI?
- How to add money to Paytm wallet using BHIM app?
- What is BHIM Referral Bonus Scheme?
- What is BHIM Merchant Incentive Scheme?
- How to check rewards in BHIM app?
- What is the split-bill feature in BHIM app?
- How to delete the transaction history in BHIM app?
- How to pay bills using BHIM app?
1. How to set up BHIM app?
To set up BHIM, You need to select the Preferred language, Your mobile number, and bank name. Language can be changed at any time after the setup. If you have a single SIM phone, default number will be used for verification. If you have dual SIM phone select the number which is linked to your bank account. Check this article for detailed instructions for setting up the app.
2. How to send money from BHIM app?
To send money, Open Send tab from the main page. Enter the Mobile Number or UPI Payment Address of the person to whom you want to send the money and click on Verify. You can also select the mobile number from your phone contacts by typing the name of the person. Enter the Amount and Remarks (Optional). Finally, enter your UPI PIN to complete the transaction. Note: Once you click on verify, App will show you the name of the person. So, confirm the name before sending the amount. If the person is not registered to UPI banking, you’ll get the error saying ‘Beneficiary Payment Address Incorrect’.
3. How to send money using Bank Account Number and IFSC code?
Go to Send and select A/c+IFSC and select the Bank. Input the IFSC Code, Account Number, Beneficiary Name and tap on the Send button. You will be asked to enter your UPI PIN. Enter Pin to complete the transaction.
4. How to send money from my one bank account to my other Bank account?
To transfer money from your one bank account to another bank account, link the bank account to BHIM app from which you want to transfer the money. Next, send money to your another bank account using Account Number and IFSC code. To know more refer to FAQ 3.
5. How to send money using Aadhaar number?
Go to Send and enter the Aadhaar number of the person to whom you want to send the money and tap on Verify. If the entered Aadhaar number is valid, you will be redirected to the payment screen. Enter the amount and hit the PAY button. Enter the UPI PIN to complete the transaction. Make a note that the Money sent to Aadhaar number will be credited to the person’s Bank account linked to the Aadhaar number. If someone links their Aadhaar number in two bank accounts and in such cases the money gets credited to the account where the Aadhaar number was linked the latest.
6. How to send money to someone who doesn’t use BHIM App?
You can send money using his/her Bank account number and IFSC code. Refer to FAQ 3.
7. How can I get the money back if I have sent it to the wrong person?
It is not possible to get back the money once it has been credited to another account. Alternatively, If you know the person to whom the money has been sent wrongly, you can request that person to remit back the money to you. Contact your bank customer support for more information.
8. How will I know if my UPI transaction is successful or not?
You will get a confirmation message once the transaction is complete. You can check your transaction status from the Transactions section. If the transaction is complete, the result will be added to All Transactions section and you will find the status as Success. If the transaction is delayed or pending, the result will be posted in the Pending section along with a UTR or bank reference number. You will also receive an SMS from your bank.
9. Money is credited from my Bank account but not debited to the recipient account
In such cases, Open the Transaction tab and select the transaction you want to report. Tap on Report Issue or Raise Concern option at the bottom. Enter your issue and Submit. The amount should be reversed to your bank account in 3 days.
10. My UPI transaction has failed but the amount is debited from my bank account.
In such cases, Money will be refunded back to your account within a few minutes. Sometimes this takes longer than intended. If you do not receive a refund within 1 hour, contact your bank’s customer support. You can also raise the request from the app for faster resolution. Refer to FAQ 9.
11. Are there any charges for making or receiving payments through BHIM app?
No. There are no charges for making the transaction. But your bank might, however, levy a nominal charge as UPI transfer fee. Contact your bank for more details.
12. What is the difference between Passcode and UPI PIN?
During the BHIM app installation, you will be asked to Generate the Passcode. This code is to protect your app from unauthorized access. You need to enter this code while opening the app every time. UPI PIN is required to transfer the money or to check the Account Balance. Always keep both the codes different and never share these codes with anyone. You can change both codes whenever required.
13. How to generate or reset the UPI PIN from BHIM App?
To generate UPI PIN go to Bank Accounts from the main page and tap on Reset UPI Pin. Enter the last 6 digits of your Debit card number & Expiry date and press Enter. One SMS will be sent from your mobile for OTP and app will detect the 6-digit OTP automatically. Now enter the 4 Digit UPI PIN and hit Enter. For better security do not use the simple pin like 1111 or 1234. You can also Generate or Reset the UPI PIN using USSD method. Refer to FAQ 18.
14. How to change the UPI PIN?
To change the UPI PIN, OpenBank Accounts tab and tap on Change UPI Pin. Enter your old UPI PIN and then enter your New UPI PIN. Enter the New UPI PIN Again to confirm and hit Enter. You will get the confirmation message as UPI Pin Changed Successfully. Start using your new PIN.
15. What if I forget my UPI PIN?
16. My debit card doesn’t have the expiry date. How can I generate a UPI PIN?
If you have Maestro card without the expiry date, While resetting the UPI PIN, Select the Maestro Card checkbox. Once you select the checkbox, Valid Up to field will disappear automatically. Enter last 6 digits of your debit card and hit Enter and set your UPI PIN.
17. I have already set a UPI pin using my Bank’s app (Ex: iMobile). Can I use the same PIN on BHIM app?
Yes. You can use the same UPI PIN for transactions on BHIM app. Go to Transactionsand tap on SYNC option at the top left. Once you tap, the PIN you have set on the other app will be set on BHIM app.
18. How to reset UPI PIN using USSD?
You can also reset your UPI Pin using USSD. Once the PIN is reset, you can use the same PIN in the BHIM app. For this procedure, internet connection is not required. It’s just like checking the balance or activating some services on your phone. Follow the below procedure.
- Dial *99# from your mobile handset
- Enter 7 to Select “UPI PIN” and tap on Send
- Now enter 1 to “Set/Forget UPI PIN”‘
- Enter last 6 Digits of your Debit card and Expiry Date separated by single space
- Enter your 4 Digit New UPI Pin
- Re-enter the new UPI PIN again to confirm and hit send button
- A confirmation screen will appear displaying ‘Your UPI Pin is Reset’
19. How to change or reset the BHIM app Passcode?
To reset the App Passcode all you need is your Bank Account Number. Open the app and tap on Forgot Passcode?. Tap on Proceed and select your mobile number which is linked to your Bank account. Enter your bank account number and hit enter. Now enter your new passcode and enter again to confirm. You will get a pop-up saying ‘Passcode set Successfully’.
20. How to generate QR Code to receive payments?
From the main screen tap on Three dot Menu and select Generate QR Code. Enter the amount and remarks (Optional) and then tap on Generate QR Code option. The generated QR code can be directly shared or can be downloaded to your phone.
21. How to change the language in BHIM App?
To change the language, tap on 3 dot Menu at the top right. Select Choose Language. Select your preferred language and tap on Next. That’s it, selected language will be set instantly.
22. Does BHIM require Online Banking or SMS banking facility for transactions?
No. Your account need not be enabled for mobile banking or Internet banking. BHIM app is based on UPI. So everything will be based on your mobile number. Your mobile number should be registered with your Bank.
23. How much money can I transfer at a time using BHIM?
According to BHIM, a user can send upto ₹20,000 per transaction and a maximum of ₹40,000 per day for one bank account. This limit is available per bank account linked on the BHIM app.
24. Why my bank is not listed in the App?
All the Banks which are currently live on UPI, have been listed in the app and Many other banks are getting added soon. If your Bank is not listed means, your Bank doesn’t support UPI Banking.
25. Why can’t I install BHIM app on my phone running on Android 4.1?
Minimum Android version required for BHIM is Android 4.2. So you cannot install BHIM app on devices running on Android 4.1.
26. How to change the bank account linked to BHIM app?
Open Bank Accounts tab from the main page. Tap on options & select ‘Change Account‘ and select Proceed from the pop-up. Now select the bank you want to change. Once you select the new Bank, it will become your default Bank in the BHIM app.
27. Can I link multiple accounts to BHIM app?
No. You cannot link multiple accounts to the app. You can only select one preferred account as the default account. So money sent to your number or your payment address will be credited to your default account. (Here default account means the bank account used in BHIM app). You can always change or switch to another bank account. Refer to FAQ 26.
28. How to delete bank account from BHIM app?
To delete the bank account, Go to Bank Account tab from home screen, scroll down and tap on Remove button. Select Proceed from the pop-up to delete the bank.
29. I have multiple accounts linked to the same mobile number. Which accounts can I use for sending money?
The account which you have selected will be displayed on the top left with the Bank’s icon. That will be your default bank. To change your Bank refer to FAQ 26.
30. How to create a new payment address in BHIM app?
To create a new payment address, Go to Profileand tap on Add Payment Address. Type your new payment address and tap on Confirm Payment Address. Now the new address will be listed with default address. Tap on Make Primary to set your new address as the default payment address.
31. How many payment addresses can be added to the BHIM app
You can create only 1 payment address (VPA) apart from the default payment address. Your default payment address will be (mobile_number@UPI).
32. How to edit or delete the payment address in BHIM app
You can Edit the Payment Address (VPA) but not possible to delete it. To edit the Payment Address go to Profile and tap on Three dot Menu and select ‘Settings‘. Your custom payment address will be displayed at the bottom. Tap on Edit button, Enter your new payment address and hit ‘Confirm Payment Address button. That’s it, your new payment address will be updated instantly. Note: You can edit your Payment Address only once.
33. How to disable the default payment address (mobile_number@upi) in BHIM app?
If you are getting too many SPAM requests for money, you can disable your default Payment Address. So you will not be visible to public and users will not be able to send/request you the money. To disable default payment address in BHIM app, Go to Profile, and tap on the 3 dot Menu & Turn off the toggle in front of payment address.
34. BHIM app is not detecting the OTP in my Smartphone.
Make sure SMS option is enabled in the App permissions. To check, Go to your Smartphone Settings -> Apps -> BHIM -> Permissions -> SMS. If SMS is disabled, enable it. You can also enter OTP manually.
35. I don’t have a Debit card. How to use the BHIM app?
A Debit card is required to generate the UPI PIN. So without Debit card, it is not possible to use the BHIM app.
36. Can I use BHIM app without Internet?
No. You need an active internet connection to use the app.
37. What if I change my mobile number?
BHIM app fetches your account details based on the mobile number linked to your bank account. So if you change your mobile number, contact the bank and link the new number to your bank account. Once the number is linked, you can set up the BHIM app using your new number.
38. What if I lose my phone?
BHIM app is provided with two layers of security – Passcode and UPI PIN. Without the passcode, one cannot open the app and without the UPI PIN, one cannot do the transactions. For better security use different numbers for both Passcode & UPI PIN and always keep it confidential. To be on a safer side, contact your bank customer care immediately.
39. My UPI PIN is blocked. How to unblock it?
If you enter an incorrect PIN multiple times, your account will be blocked to prevent the unauthorized access. Try resetting the UPI PIN (FAQ 13) or contact your bank support to unblock the account.
40. What will happen if I uninstall the BHIM app?
You will not lose any transaction data if you uninstall the BHIM app. All the transaction details including custom payment address will be restored once you sign into the app again. Your UPI PIN will remain the same.
41. BHIM app auto deduct payments from my bank account?
No. BHIM app will not auto deduct payments from your bank account.
42. BHIM app is not recognizing my mobile number
BHIM app uses the registered mobile number to fetch your bank account details. So select the mobile number which is linked to your bank account. If you are using a dual SIM smartphone, make sure you have selected the correct mobile number.
43. Error – Beneficiary Payment Address Incorrect
Make sure you have entered the recipient’s number properly. You can not send money to a person who doesn’t have the virtual payment address or who has not activated UPI banking. You can also send money using recipient’s Bank Account number and IFSC code. Refer to FAQ 3.
44. Error – Collect request is not reaching
In such cases, first, make sure you are connected to the Internet. If not, turn on the Mobile data or WiFi. If you have entered your payment address at the merchant app, re-check your payment address and re-try the transaction. Check the pending transactions tab to check if the collect request has reached you.
45. Error – Transaction limit exceeded
You will get this error if you exceed the daily transaction limit i.e. ₹ 20,000. You can transfer up to ₹10,000 at a time.
46. Error – Limit Exceeded, Please try after 30 minutes
You will get the above error if you enter the App Passcode wrong three times. This feature is implemented to prevent unauthorized access to BHIM app. So you will not be able to use the app for 30 minutes after 3 wrong attempts. After 30 minutes open the app and enter the right passcode and get access to the app. If you forgot the App passcode follow FAQ 19 to reset the App Passcode.
47. Error – Device Binding Failed
This error usually occurs due to issues with the network connection and when the app is unable to send SMS. Make sure you have updated BHIM app else update it from Google Play Store.
48. Error – Failed to Connect
This error is due to connectivity issues. Make sure you are connected to an active internet connection (WiFi or Mobile data).
49. Error – UPI Transaction failed
UPI transaction can fail due to multiple reasons most likely due to connectivity issues to the banking system, Incorrect payment address entered or wrong UPI PIN entry. If your transaction fails, please try again after a
50. Can I save the beneficiary details for future transactions?
Yes, you can save the beneficiary details. While sending money to a particular person you have to click on the Save for Future option. All beneficiary details will be saved under My Beneficiaries tab and anytime you can delete the details.
51. How do I delete a saved contact from My Beneficiaries?
Go to My Beneficiaries and select the contact. once you select the contact, You will get two options – Send Money and Delete. Click on delete to remove the beneficiary from the list.
52. How to block unknown money requests in BHIM app?
You can block the sender by clicking on SPAM for the request and also by clicking the particular sender so that he can no longer send you unwanted requests.
53. How do I unblock a user in BHIM app?
Go to My Beneficiaries and tap on the Three dot Menu and Blocked Contacts.Y ou will get the list of blocked contacts. Click on the contact which you want to unblock and select the Unblock option to unblock the contact.
54. How do I pay an online merchant through UPI?
While doing an online payment, select UPI as a payment option. On clicking that, you will need to enter your Payment Address (xxxx@upi). Once entered, you will receive a collect request on your BHIM app. Accept the request and enter your UPI PIN to complete the payment.
55. How to add money to Paytm wallet using BHIM app?
You can easily add money to your Paytm wallet using BHIM app. Refer this article for step by step instructions.
56. What is BHIM Referral Bonus Scheme?
If you are a BHIM user and introduce your friends/family to use the BHIM app, Both you and the new user will get a monetary bonus. Once the new user downloads the app from Play Store, need to enter your number during the first transaction in the ‘Referal Code’ field. The referral code field will appear on the transaction page and will be visible only to the new BHIM user at the time of their first financial transaction process. The referral will be considered successful only after 3 unique successful transactions have been completed by the new user. On completion of minimum 3 unique successful transactions totaling ₹50 to any 3 unique users (Customers or Merchants), the referrer (You) and the referee (New User) will be notified of the bonus amount via notification in the BHIM app. You will get ₹10 per successful referral, while the new users will get ₹25 for downloading and transacting from BHIM App. The bonus will be credited to the bank accounts of the referrer and the referee after meeting the eligibility criteria.
57. What is BHIM Merchant Incentive Scheme?
This scheme only applies Merchants and merchants need to register their business in the BHIM app. Once the user clicks on the I AM A MERCHANT tab (Home Screen -> 3 Dot Menu), he/she has to fill in appropriate details asked by the BHIM App includes Business name, Contact number, Merchant category, Merchant address etc. Merchants can use any mode available on BHIM [QR Code, VPA, Mobile number, or Aadhaar number] to collect the payments from their customers. On achieving the cashback incentive slab as defined for the merchants, NPCI initiates the cashback and the merchant is notified of the cashback via notification in BHIM app. The scheme applies to all merchants who receive payments on BHIM App or *99#.
58. How to check rewards in BHIM app?
To check rewards, Go to ‘Transactions‘ and select Rewards by tapping the three-dot-menu.
59. What is the split-bill feature in BHIM app?
The split bill feature allows you divide a bill between yourself and other users (BHIM and UPI). For example, you and your friends have used a product/service amounting to ₹1,000. Using split bill feature, you can enter the total amount and that will get automatically split between the users after entering their payment address (VPA). A collect request will be initiated and the payers need to approve the request.
60. How to delete the transaction history in BHIM app?
There is no way to delete the transaction history in BHIM app.
61. How to pay bills using BHIM app?
Check out this article for more information on BHIM bill pay, Supported billers etc.