The government of India has mandated all toll plazas to make toll payments electronic by 1st December 2019 to reduce the traffic at the toll plazas. It not only reduces traffic congestions but, also improves the transparency of toll transactions. Most importantly, it reduces emissions from idling & repeated stops at Toll Plazas. To make the process hassle-free and standard throughout all toll plazas, National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has developed the National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) program which uses a technology called FASTag to collect the toll payments in the toll plazas.
What is FASTag?
RFID FASTag is a small rectangular device (10×5 cm) that employs Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for making automatic toll payments as you pass through the toll plaza without stopping the vehicle for the cash transaction. This tag is affixed on the front windshield of the vehicle (Usually at the center) and allows you to make the toll payments directly from your prepaid or savings or current bank account which is linked to the FASTag. The customer will also get 2.5% cashback on all the transactions made at NHAI toll plazas during the fiscal year 2019-20.
How FASTag Works?
- Fix the tag in the center of your vehicle’s front windshield
- Enter the dedicated FASTag lane at NHAI Toll Plaza
- A FASTag reader at the toll plaza will automatically read your tag’s details like Tag ID, Vehicle class, etc.
- Applicable Toll fees will be debited from the linked account
Make sure you have sufficient money in the linked bank account or Wallet, else, the FASTag gets blacklisted at the toll plaza and you’ll have to pay the toll fare by cash.
What all you need to buy FASTag?
- Your vehicle type – Car, Jeep, Truck, LCV. BUS, Truck, etc.
- Photos of you RC (Front and Back)
- Passport size photograph of the vehicle owner
- A government-approved ID card (Aadhaar, Voter ID, Driving Licence or Passport)
How to Buy FASTag?
Buy FASTag Online – FASTag can be purchased online using popular eCommerce such as Amazon.in. The FASTag purchased online can be activated using the My FASTag mobile app. It is available for both Android as well as iOS users. Using the app you can easily link the FASTag to your existing bank account or use the FASTag Wallet. If you opt for the FASTag wallet, you can load the money into the wallet using the UPI method. Money gets transferred directly from your UPI linked bank account to your FASTag Wallet and the same will be debited once you cross the toll plaza.
Buy FASTag using Paytm – If you are a Paytm user, you can buy the FASTag from Paytm by providing the necessary documents mentioned above. The FASTag purchased from Paytm will be linked to your Paytm wallet and the applicable toll amount will be deducted from the wallet itself. Check out here for more info on Paytm FASTag.
Buy FASTag from the Bank – One of the most convenient ways to buy the FASTag by visiting the nearest certified bank (Refer to the table mentioned below). The FASTag bought from the bank will be attached to your existing bank account and the Toll fees are deducted from your linked bank account. Apart from KYC documents, you’ll have to submit the Vehicle Registration Certificate (RC). Check out the list of certified Banks that Provide FASTag below. You can use Debit or Credit card, UPI, Internet Banking, NEFT or Cheque to transfer the money to your FASTag linked bank account.
POS (Point of Sale) Terminal – Apart from the above-mentioned modes, the FASTag can be purchased from the Select Toll Plazas and POS Terminals. Check out this link to find the nearest POS Terminal.
|Bank Name||Customer Care|
|State Bank of India||1800-11-0018|
|Karur Vysya Bank||1800-102-1916|
|EQUITAS Small |
|PayTM Payments |
|Kotak Mahindra Bank||1800-419-6606|
|South Indian Bank||1800-425-1809|
|Punjab National Bank||080-67295310|
|Punjab & Maharashtra |
|Fino Payments Bank||1860-266-3466|
|City Union Bank||1800-2587200|
|Bank of Baroda||1800-1034568|
|Nagpur Nagarik |
Sahakari Bank Ltd.
FASTag charges depend on the issuer agency. The total Price of the FASTag is divided into three parts – Price of the FASTag + Refundable Security deposit + Threshold Amount. The Threshold Amount is the minimum recharge amount to be done at the time of tag activation. The security deposit is based on the vehicle class and it will be refunded at the time of closure of the RFID Tag account. Below is the example for the Price of FASTag issued by Paytm.
|Refundable Security Deposit||₹250|
Note: As a limited time offer most of the Banks including Paytm are giving FASTag for free. Means, ₹100 will be waived off and you need to pay only Refundable Security deposit & Threshold amount. Contact customer support for more details.
If your residence is within 10 km of a particular plaza, you can purchase a FASTag to avail concessions. Once you purchase the FASTag, you will have to submit the required documents such as Proof of residence at the Acquiring Bank POS location to validate your residence within 10 km of a particular plaza. Once it is verified, you can avail of concession on the FASTag assigned to your vehicle.
Things to Remeber
- FASTag is mandatory from 1st December 2019 at all National Highway Toll Plazas
- Once affixed to the vehicle, the FastTag cannot be transferred to another vehicle
- FASTag can also be purchased at select Toll plazas, NETC Member bank branches, Retail PoS locations, and Issuer bank website
- FASTag can be topped-up online through Credit Card, Debit Card, NEFT, RTGS, UPI or Net Banking, My FASTag app and online through e-commerce platforms
- Cashback will be paid to eligible FASTag customers only
- FASTag has unlimited validity and it can be used till the tag is read by the reader and not tampered with (As per IHMCL)
- In case of any incorrect deduction, the customer has to call the customer care and the amount will be refunded to source if found correct
- Call the customer support to Block the FASTag account in case of the vehicle is stolen
- A monthly pass for a toll plaza will be issued at that particular toll plaza
- Once you cross the toll, you will receive an SMS alert to your registered phone number each time a balance is deducted from your FASTag account